Bojana Romic (1978) is a visual artist and theoretician based in Belgrade.
She graduated at the University for Fine Arts in Belgrade, and is currently working on her PhD thesis at the Theory of Arts and Media Department, University of Arts, Belgrade. Her main focus of interest is in the field of cybercultures.
Coming from the family of medical workers, her artistic work is often contextualized using metaphors borrowed from the medical science.
She took part in many exhibitions in Europe and USA.
– 2008 Video Art Festival, Orebrö, Sweden
– 2004 BELGRADE-RS, (video), Belgrade Summer Festival – Belef, Serbia
– 2003 Alternative film and video festival, Belgrade, Serbia
– 2002 2nd International Festival of Performance of Barcelona eBent’02, Barcelona, Spain
– 2002 “Dead or Alive”, 6th Festival for Emerging and Independent Artists-Break 21, Ljubljana, Slovenia
– 2001 “What’s so funny” festival, CESTA – Tabor, Czech Republic (Belgrade-Moscow Postcard – with O. Soulimenko, G. Micevski, D. Drazic)
– 2000 1st Balkan Youth Festival in Katerina , Greece
Selected group exhibitions:
– 2009 Grungy video wall project, Katendrechtse Lagedijk, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
– 2007 Landmark, Bergen , Norway
– 2007 »DEEVEEDEE« Pasadena museum of California Art, USA
– 2007 »DEEVEEDEE« ATA, San Francisco, USA,
– 2007 »We’re #1« Smoke Gallery, Niagara Falls, Canada
– 2007 »Till Death Us Do Art« Act art 5, London, UK
– 2006 “Hybrid-imagenary: Painting and/or screen”, Museum of contemporary art, Novi Sad, Serbia
– 2005 VIDEOPAK 2005, MXEspai, Barcelona, Spain
– 2005 “El Greco”, YUGOLINE, ESC Gallery in Graz, Austria
– 2003 “Belgrade postcards”, Duplex Gallery, Geneve, Switzerland
– 2003 “Raw” Introducing Sites /Cultural Territorien #04, Galerie für Zeitgenoessische Kunst, Leipzig, Germany
Art residences, conferences and presentations:
– 2008 New Media Politics, K3, Malmö University, Sweden
– 2008 DREAM conference: Digital Content Creation, University in Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark, with lecture: »How to communicate with IT illiterate«
– 2008 Regeneration and Reinvention: Practices of the New conference, University of Salford, Greater Manchester, UK, with lecture: »Barthes in cyberspace«
– 2008 New Media Art Audiences symposium, Ciant Gallery, Prague, with lecture:
“Art recognition in the information age”
– 2007 Education, Art and Media in the European Integration Process International Conference, with lecture: “Advertising and TV Commercials in Serbia”, October 11-14
– 2004 “Plattform fuer Austauch”, University of Fine Arts, Vienna, Austria
– 2002/3 “Ateljé Stundars”, Vaasa, Finland
– 2007 One of the participants in ADAM project, with main focus on Long Distance Learning programme. Project took three years of research and included cooperation between University of Belgrade, Serbia, University of Sienna, Italy, University of Malmo, Sweden and University of Edinburgh, UK.
– 2005-2010 One of the participants of the project Education, Art and Media in the European Integration Process: Serbia 2000-2010, Faculty of Drama Arts in Belgrade
– 2009 Barthes in Cyberspace, to be published on summer 2009, Salford University, Greater Manchester, UK
– 2007 Descartes in Cyberspace, Zbornik Fakulteta Dramskih Umetnosti, Faculty of Drama Arts,.
– 2003 As you like it , 1:1, Vismar, Germany, No 1
– 1999 Search of the dynamics of rhythm and the problem of light at the paintings of Pierre Soulages, Sveske, Pančevo, No 50
– 2002 Scholarship of the Norwegian Embassy for the best students in Serbia
– 2000 Sculpture Award at 1st Balkan Youth Festival in Katerina, Greece